Thursday, September 25, 2014

Week 3 sLOG

The third week of class, the instructor has introduced us more logical symbols, also basic computing logics, such as implication, conjunction, disjunction and negation. Overall, things that taught in class are fairly understandable, and with certain amount of practice, I believe I have a moderate understanding of the material. By using Venn diagram and truth tables, it really helps understanding the situation that might be more complicated. 


The biggest issue that I had is when translating from English to logical symbols. I never notice how unclear English is until I take this course. One simple sentence, with the word “unless”, placing in front of the sentence or the back of the sentence makes a totally different argument, so does “rather”. And also, in English, the word “or” means either one, but not both; however, in logic, it could means either one, or both, which makes more sense. Attending to tutorial helps me a lot if I have class materials that I do not understand, the tutorial questions basically covers most of the things we learn in class, and the TA explains the answers very clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment